Thursday, June 23, 2011

#14: Boston Organics

After three years of trying to garden in the city (whaa waa), I decided to try something new this year as a means of getting fresh fruits and veggies during the summer. Several friends (Yana & Talya Davis and Jenn Wilson) had been telling me about Boston Organics. Boston Organics is a company that delivers fresh fruits and veggies to your house either once a week, or every other week. They offer a wide variety of boxes to choose from depending on whether or not you like more veggies, more fruits, or an equal combination. Boston Organics allows users to specify if they have any food allergies, so for those of you who have mold allergies out there, you can tell Boston Organics to never ever send you any mushrooms! On May 18th, I received my first Boston Organics box. I started off with the half-veggie/half-fruit small box every other week. I quickly realized that I love having fresh produced delivered to my house, so I’ve switched my delivery to once week. My most recent box was the Dogma box, which means that Boston Organics strives to send me produce that is grown locally or close to home. It’s been so much fun planning my meals around what I receive each week. Here are a few recipes that I’ve tried out since receiving Boston Organics. All of them have been delicious, but I highly recommend the braised baby bok choy recipe. Yummy!

Braised Baby Boy Choy

Salad dressing
(courtesy of Giada):
1/2 apple, such as Granny Smith or honey crisp, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped

3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons maple syrup

1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a food processor, combine the apple, vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.



No comments:

Post a Comment