Sunday, June 26, 2011

#6: Eat at Sonsie



September 2011 will mark eight full years of living in Boston. One thing that I have learned about this city is that no matter how long you live here, you will never be able to do everything there is to do in this town!

One thing that I have wanted to do since the first fall (2003) that I moved to Boston was to eat at Sonsie on Newbury Street. In the spring, summer and fall months, Sonsie always has its front windows open, and guest are sitting at small tables watching the pedestrians walk by laden with their haul from boutiques that I can’t afford! Something about it has always felt very Parisian to me.

Two weeks ago my good friend from high school, Toni, came to Boston for a visit. We had agreed to meet up for drinks when I got off work; she would be coming straight from the airport. I left work right at 5pm (very unusual for me to leave at closing time, but it was a sure sign that I was excited for the night!). I decided to go down to Newbury Street early, get a pedicure, and then meet Toni at Sonsie.

I emerged from into the daylight at the Hynes Convention T stop eager to access Yelp on my phone so that I could look up a reputable salon, when two colleagues hollered at me from across the street. They were sitting front and center having drinks at Sonsie! The timing was serendipitous. I skipped the pedicure, joined Shelly and Anjulet for drinks, and as they were leaving, Toni arrived and she and I picked up the night of dining where Shelly, Anjulet and I left off.

The food was delicious, the spring weather was perfect, and the company was outstanding!

I highly recommend trying the following the next time you are at Sonsie:

  • The oh-so-yummy cucumber-vodka cocktail
  • Calamari - flash fried, zucchini strings, lemon aioli, fried parsley
  • Brick Oven Pizza - goat cheese, sweet roasted pepper, calamata olives, flat parsley


No comments:

Post a Comment