Thursday, January 12, 2012

#12: Go to a Thunder Game




When I moved back to Oklahoma City I took a look at my 30 for 30 list and realized there was an item on the list that was going to be very difficult to check-off now that I’d returned to a land-locked state: #12 “Go Whale Watching.” I gave myself permission to amend my list, and #12 became “Go to a Thunder Game.” With enthusiasm and excitement I announced this to my family. They grimly informed me that my alternative might be equally as hard to complete in this land-locked state due to the NBA lockout. Boo!

Keeping the faith, I reminded them that I was a lucky charm for professional sports teams in the city where I reside. While I was in Boston (2003-2011) the city’s pro football, baseball, basketball and hockey teams were all the cream of the crop at least once! The New England Patriots won the Super Bowl back to back in 2004 and 2005. The Boston Red Sox saw the end of the “Curse of the Bambino” and won the World Series in 2004, and again in 2007. The Boston Celtics won the NBA Championship in 2008. And the Boston Bruins won the Stanley cup in 2011. I was absolutely convinced that the NBA lockout would be resolved, and I would get to go to my first Thunder game. After all, I’m a lucky charm.

Then it came to pass...

On Christmas Eve my new friend Ashley Armstrong, who works for the Thunder, called and offered me two tickets to the Christmas night, opening game of the season. What a blast! I took my cousin Elisabeth, and we had the full Thunder experience: Rumble in his Santa suit, KD’s 3-pointers, and yes, a Thunder victory! I could not have been a more perfect night.
Oh, and by the way, the Thunder have started off this new season with a roaring boom. This lucky charm is definitely holding out for a Championship season for the OKC Thunder in 2011-2012!






No comments:

Post a Comment